Sunday, November 16, 2014

What is 'best' for my kids?

We call Hong Kong our home now, but I still constantly struggle with the education system here.  I went through my (6 yrs of Primary + 6 yrs of Secondary) before I headed to US for my university education.  See Sun so far had 'suffered' through K1+K2+K3 and now P1+P2+P3.  See King is slowly following those footsteps.

Often time I asked myself: I endured just the same and did just fine, then got my BS & MS from US (and same for Yani).  Will the outcome be the same if I were under the US/Canada education system to begin with?  Hong Kong's system is very good at training test taker.  IMHO most of those who came out at the end of the pipe can make a living and survive - but are they happy?  I can remember vividly 2011's summer when See Sun were in Vancouver taking summer camp, every criticism by 蘇浙幼稚園's teacher would be turned into praise in Canada.  Will See King be measured against by that very same scale?

Yani and I do not expect a lot for our kids.  We want them to have a happy childhood.  We want them to be confident and be content.  In my mind, I pray that See King not necessary be Joshua to lead but be firm and faithful in the Lord like Caleb, to be a Godly man.  I pray that See Sun to become a Godly woman and flourish under His grace and mercy.

I foresee 2018's summer will another turning point.  After that summer, See Sun will venture into Secondary school and See King will be in Primary school.  How will life be by then?


2014年6月18日 明報網站 > 精叻爸媽 > 每日焦點
父母學堂﹕贏了起跑線 輸在終點線 - http://goo.gl/7AAdsD

2014年7月29日 信報 經管錦言 B15版
讓孩子贏在終點線:音樂、編程、社交 - http://goo.gl/kPMi7E 

2013年
「一代不如一代」? by 沈祖堯 - http://goo.gl/NBJGA

No comments:

Post a Comment